Chicken Liver Paté
- 500 g Chicken Livers
- 125 g Butter
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Bay leaf
- Dry Sherry
- 125 g Mushrooms
- 60 g extra Butter
- Prepare your chicken livers - make sure they are clean. Soak them in cold, salted water for approximately 1 hour. Drain them prior to cooking.
- Place frying pan over medium heat. Melt butter in pan, add finely chopped onion, thyme, bay leaf and finely chopped bacon. Saute slowly until onion is translucent and very tender (but not brown). Add your chicken livers and gently fry for 7 minutes or until cooked. Tip the contents of your frying pan in to a blender.
- Place the frying pan back on a medium heat. Add brandy, port, sherry, salt, pepper, cream and finely chopped mushrooms to the pan. Stir to combine, gently bring to a boil, then simmer gently uncovered until sauce has reduced by half. Pour sauce into the blender, blend together with your chicken liver mixture until smooth.
- Push your mixture through a coarse sieve to ensure it is completely smooth, then place in to either one large serving dish or a few small ramekins.
- Put extra butter in a clean saucepan, melt over gentle heat until white sediment comes to the top; skim off white sediment only. Place a bay leaf on top of each paté dish, pour the clarified butter over the top to cover paté, then refrigerate until set.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread, your favourite crackers and a glass of Meadowbank Pinot Noir or Gamay - enjoy!